Friday, October 3, 2008

Is America Finally Losing Its Stupid?

For years I've been pulling my hair out in frustration as 'Mericuns base their political decisions on who is most like them and who they want to have a beer with. This is insane on many levels: 1) Bush can't drink beer, he's an alcoholic; 2) I don't want someone like me in charge b/c I'm not that smart (and neither is the average 'Mericun); 3) you and your buddies couldn't keep a house clean, what makes you think someone like you could keep a country from sinking? With Bush, perhaps, finally, Americans have realized that deciding who they should vote for based on who they'd like to get hammered with is not a good idea.

By all accounts, it seems people should like Palin more - she's sorta hot (a MILF at least), she's got this folksy personality (I personally find it a ridiculous caricature, but I don't live in Ohio and spend my life rooting for the Buckeyes, so I'm probably not the best judge of genuine folsky-ness), she talks like a moron which connects with people for some reason, and she's a complete vacuum. Biden, on the other hand, is very smart, knows tons about every issue, has facts and history at the tip of his tongue, and is mature. If this was 2000, Palin would wipe the floor with Biden. But it's not. This is a serious time and only serious people need apply for the job of President and Vice President. What we've learned these past several weeks (and saw in full color last night at the VP debate) is that McCain and Palin are deeply unserious.

I'm proud that America is waking up from its apathy about politics and beginning to realize that you need serious, smart, and intellectually curious people leading this country. I doubt this "great awakening" will last, but hopefully it lasts long enough to keep Obama/Biden in office for 8 years so we can get the country back on track and wrest it from the hands of the liars, bamboozelers, and thugs that have been in charge for the past 8.

No comments: