Monday, November 3, 2008

One Day Too Many To Go And My Dream Job

The election is almost here. As much as I love politics, it really is like crack for me, I am ready for this one to be over. The ads aren't the problem, they're effectively background noise at this point. Really, it's just the energy expended everyday reading all the news about the election. It's fucking exhausting. Every hour, McCain comes up with some new ridiculous statement or allegation. Every minute, some bobble headed moron on TV is bloviating about some crap. Every 20 seconds there's another poll that's probably meaningless because this ain't 2004, folks.

But there is good news from all of this (other than the fact that we'll actually have a smart person running the country again - what a concept). Comedy. SNL has been fantastic the past month or so. I haven't watched it regularly (I admit, though, I TiVo it) since the Farley days. This cast just has some good chemistry. The crazy lady who has to be hopped up on serious amounts of coke (or maybe she mainlines RedBull) is hilarious. Though a lot of her characters are similar, they're all funny. Also, Palin's and McCain's ludicrous campaign has made the Daily Show and Colbert even more funny than usual. It's almost as if there is too much out there to make fun of it all. You could probably have an entire political comedy channel where people just sit there, watch CNN or Fox or MSNBC and make fun of the people and the news - in real time.

In fact, that would be my dream job. One of the best parts of college was just sitting around watching TV with my friends because we'd just lay there and make fun of everything that came on. I'd bet all the money in my G-string that a show of three or four funny guys watching TV in real time and making fun of it would be a huge hit. Obviously, it'd be on Spike in between UFC matches and Mansweres. Seriously, you'd watch that, wouldn't you?

No comments: